Saturday, April 27, 2013

6 Reasons Why I Love Teaching

When I was 16, a fourth year high school student. There was this test that would identify which career path you're gonna be when entering college. As I got the result, there it was saying "you're career path is becoming a teacher". This time, I get to be really upset about it, because I do not want to be a teacher. I wanted anything else but be a teacher. Because a teacher has many things to do, like compute student grades, facing parents or even dating one (kidding about that), responsible for students behavior in school, facing the principal about student behaviors, and writing lesson plans. It's all about students, lessons, and school work. Sheesh! I really wanted to become a nurse but Noooo.
 My entire family had to drag me to becoming an educator and so I got what they wanted. I'd always wanted to become a nurse or better yet a fashion designer, or cartoonist. I wanted to doodle. Finally, all my intentions paid off, I had to enroll in an Education department and I what I thought was "Maybe being a teacher is not so bad after all". I took a shot at it. I was then influenced by my Aunt (She's a Sped teacher) that I should be choosing a teacher because it's a simple job and then I was thinking "what's so simple about being a teacher? It's a pain in the ass". My dad had to tease me like "When you become a teacher, you can enjoy lots of stuff, like listing down noisy students and letting them pay for every stick they are noisy and you get to enjoy their money like buying yourself a pair of crayons" or even cigarettes (kidding, I don't smoke). Then my grandmother told me that "J, you'd become a great teacher because you are nice, you can draw which students find it interesting in listening to your lessons, you are smart, you love children and you are very responsible". That gave me a hit in the heart. I then realized that I wanted this profession enough to also make my grandmom proud because she was also an educator in Home Ed.


 Okay, so I finaally am an educator student. However, I didn't take it seriously though because of the whole "new-friends-and-party" going on as I entered college. Until from time to time, I finally realized that I love to teach..


Reasons of Why I Love Being a Teacher:





1. Creating Colorful and Fun Atmosphere.
 Oh, I just love this decorating thing, I wanted my classroom to be interesting and fun for children to explore and learn. During my internship, I was also caught up with all the colorful classroom setting which is very eye-catching and all the art works of it.





2. Sharing What I  Also Learned.
 Well, maybe because it's colorful and very easy to read and I can share this to my students. Reading can be very easy and fun especially to children. You know, with all the pictures and colors in it. Teaching them the ABCs, and other stuffs they would be interested in. Sometimes, children books can engage to games and storytelling. Me? What I did, storytelling. They find it interesting and they can learn something with it.




3. Relationship with Kids.
 I just love children, which makes me one. The more I spend time with them the more I look younger (Hahaha. Kidding). Well, I love children and I love to teach them. Sharing what I learned during my days to them makes me a very responsible person, honest and approachable. Well, when I am teaching in a regular class I would never give failing marks to my students that would piss every parents. I know the feeling, that's why I never wanted to see anyone fail when I am teaching. Sharing my experiences to them makes it easy for them to understand. The ability to help them give their best in tests.




4. Novelty
 Those who have taught know exactly what I mean here. Teaching is NEVER the same from one day to the next. The constant flux of variables: students present in class, student moods, time of year, time of day, other events in the school, lesson for the day ... make this profession an never-ending kaleidoscope of variety and change.
Being a teacher is not a boring job! Frustrating, yes, sometimes. Difficult. Yes. But boring, no! For someone like me, who loves adventure, you go on many journeys right within the walls of your classroom. Journeys of growth as students grow, you grow, and the class as whole grows.

 5. Summer Vacation
 Yes! Two months off every year. How we teachers look forward toApril, counting down the last few days of the school year in anticipation! Even the keenest of teachers, most loving and dedicated, looks forward to a break. And a long, luxurious break we have. Kind of. Many of us still do prep work during the summer, getting ready for the next year. But still ... we don't have to officially "go to work." And that is a pretty sweet deal, no matter how you slice it! So, summer holidays are definitely on the top ten for the best things about being a teacher.
6. The Love
  It's an easy job. I just love teaching, not because of the high salary I get, not because of the cute students to get that favoritism thingy, not because of cute people you get to know each year or some of the years, not because of failing the students. But because I appreciate the works of being a teacher (now). It really ain't hard being one but just keeping it real and love your profession as an educator.

No comments: